Create a YouTube Channel The video platform, founded in 2005, is still the absolute leader in the field of video and now also in the field of music. 62% of all companies worldwide have their own YouTube channel. But how do you create your own channel? We explain how to create your own YouTube channel in simple steps.
The YouTube channel
For many, YouTube only serves as a video database to be able to play their own videos on the website or in social networks. But YouTube offers so much more. With a well-structured and regularly updated channel, you can also address your target group directly on YouTube and even open up new groups of people.
YouTube should therefore be given the same importance as Facebook or Instagram. The YouTube channel is like your own profile on YouTube here other users can not only see your videos, but also get in direct contact with you and other subscribers.
With good content (content) and clever placement of keywords, your videos can achieve a large reach. Since YouTube belongs to the Google group, most suitable videos are now also displayed as search results in the Google search.
These are much more likely to be clicked on by users than ordinary link references. Not only the music industry has recognized this for itself. As “The Buggles” sang in 1980: “Video killed the Radiostar”
Before you start creating your own YouTube channel, you should think about a few things:
- What kind of videos do I want to publish?
- Who or what should the channel represent?
- Who do I want to reach with my videos?
- What should my channel be called?
- Who can and should take care of my channel?
Once you’ve answered these questions, you’re good to go. Please note that we have tried to make the instructions as detailed as possible and have described them step by step. So please don’t be put off by the length of this article.
Many steps happen automatically and are self-explanatory. Nevertheless, we have decided to list them here in order to be able to provide inexperienced or unsure users with suitable assistance. If you still have questions or something doesn’t work for you at one point, we will be happy to help you.
Create a Google account
To be able to log in to YouTube, you need a Google account.
(If you already have a Google account, you can skip this step)
- Visit the YouTube website www.youtube.de
- Click Sign In at the top right of the page.
- If you don’t have an account yet, you can click on “Create account” (marked in red here).
- Complete the registration completely. Caution! Please enter your first and last name here, not the channel name.
- After registering, you will receive an email to the email address you provided with the requested registration code.
- In the next step you will be asked for a phone number, your birthday and your gender. A phone number is required for sharing videos longer than 15 minutes, live streaming, and channel customization. In order to grant these releases, a code is sent to the respective telephone number. It is therefore advisable to enter a cell phone number here.
- Now click on “Create Account”.
- You will now be directed back to Youtube. If necessary, you must click on Login again in the upper right corner.
- You are now automatically logged in to YouTube with your Google account. You should now see a colored circle with the first letter of your first name in the top right-hand corner.
Please note: If you are using the Google Chrome browser, you are now “logged in” there as well. If you do not want this, click on the colored circle at the top right and select “Log out”.
Create a Youtube channel
- Open YouTube at youtube.com
- Click on “Sign in” in the upper right corner.
- Now go to your profile picture or the circle with the first letter of your first name. In the “Drop down menu” click on “Create channel” (marked red here).
- You will now be asked to confirm that you want to start your career as a creator.
- In the next window you can specify how you want to use the channel or who the channel should represent. If you still want to use your first and last name as the channel name, click “Choose” on the left. However, if you would like to give the channel its own name, eg that of your community, click on “Select” on the right.
- Now you can already upload a profile picture, enter a channel description and set links to your social media channels. You can also do this afterwards.
You are now the proud owner of a YouTube channel. But now the work is just beginning. So that your target group can find your channel and not sit in front of a “blank sheet of paper”, so to speak you should equip your channel visually and in terms of content in the next step.